Our role as Governors is demanding but very rewarding. As a Board of Governors, collectively we are responsible for working with our school to ensure that it delivers a good quality education for all of our children. Together with Mr Nicolaides, who is responsible for day-to-day management of our school, we set our school's aims and policies.
As Governors we have many important responsibilities, such as
- Setting the aims and objectives for the school
- Setting the policies for achieving those aims and objectives
- Setting targets for achieving those aims and objectives
- Monitoring and evaluate the progress the school is making towards achievement of its aims and objectives
- being a source of challenge and support to the headteacher (a critical friend)
As Governors we carry out a number of other important duties, which include:
- Determining how our school budget is spent.
- Appointment of the Headteacher and assisting in the process of appointing teaching staff;
- Form a disciplinary panel to monitor and dismiss underperforming staff.
- With regard to the school’s discipline policy, consider decisions to exclude a pupil
- Hearing appeals and grievances;
- Forming policy on the school's curriculum and collective worship;
- Setting standards for all of our pupils' behaviour and discipline;
- Making sure our school buildings are welcoming and safe;
- Setting and monitoring the school's aims and policies.
As a Governor we are expected to:
- Work as a member of the Board of Governors for the best interests of the school;
- Attend the regular meetings and special meetings of the Board of Governors;
- Serve on committees which deal with the Board of Governor's legal obligations;
- Become familiar with general educational issues and developments;
- Take an interest in school activities;
- Promote the school within the local community;
- Commit time to the duties and responsibilities of a Governor.
Who can be a School Governor?
We have no special qualifications to become a school governor. However, by taking on this role, each of us has shown an interest in the workings of our school, our teachers and more importantly the education of all our children.
Mead Vale Board of Governors
At our school the Board of Governors consists of a total of 8 governors :-
a) 1 ex-officio
b) 1 staff governor
c) 6 co-opted governors
The school’s Board of Governors meets on a monthly basis as a whole group. Safeguarding and online safety committee meetings also take place on a monthly basis. Our committees are as follows;
Safeguarding and Online Safety Committee
Full Governing Body
School Improvement Committee
CHAIR: Mrs Elouise Huxor (co-opted)
VICE CHAIR: Mr Michal Kus (co-opted)
STAFF GOVERNOR: Mrs Amanda Ratcliffe
CO-OPTED GOVERNOR: Mrs Nicola Bignell (member of staff), Mrs Julie Kanaan, Mrs Bethan Langley (member of staff) & Rev Emma Amyes.
EX-OFFICIO GOVERNOR: Mr Jason M Nicolaides
The meetings are also attended by the Headteacher and are clerked by Thelma Maslen.
Correspondence to the Chair of Governors (Mrs Elouise Huxor) or individual Governors can be sent via the school address.
The Governors welcome parents’ views or comments on any school issues (preferably in writing please).